'Mud schools' to be replaced in E Cape
1 October 2012
Two of the "mud schools" earmarked for replacement as part of the Basic Education Department's Accelerated Schools Infrastructure Development Initiative (Asidi) will be handed over in South Africa's Eastern Cape province by President Jacob Zuma this week.
Accompanied by Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga, Zuma will hand over Mphathiswa Senior Primary School in Libode on Tuesday and Dakhile Junior Secondary School in Lusikisiki on Wednesday.
The schools are part of the first batch of 49 "mud schools" identified and planned for replacement in 2012 through a service delivery agreement with the Development Bank of Southern Africa (DBSA).
A total of 12 450 learners in the districts of Libode, Lusikisiki and Mthatha are expected to benefit from the initiative, which aims to eradicate inappropriate schools, as well as refurbish dilapidated and ill-equipped schools.
Inappropriate schools lack water, electricity and sanitation and are usually referred to as mud schools.
The Asidi National Outputs plan 2011-2014 will see the eradication and replacement of 496 mud schools, provision of water and sanitation to 1 257 schools and electricity to 878 schools.
Education spokesperson, Panyaza Lesufi, said that a total of R8.2-billion had been budgeted for Asidi for the period 2011-2014, with R700-million allocated for 2011/12, R2.3-billion for 2012/13, and R5.2-billion for 2013/14.
"R420-million (60%) of the R700-million budget allocated for 2011/12 has been set aside to eradicate all mud schools in the Eastern Cape and the remaining R280- million (40%) to fund basic services necessary in schools," Lesufi said.
Of the 16 contractors appointed to construct the 49 schools, 69% are based in the Eastern Cape.
"The project has created 2 829 temporary employment opportunities with the use of 109 small, medium and micro enterprises (SMMEs) subcontracted for the project."
The project includes the refurbishment of 61 classrooms, 359 new classrooms, 60 Grade R classrooms and 15 temporary classes.
It also includes 49 administration blocks, 49 science laboratories, 49 multimedia centres (libraries and computer labs), as well as 49 multipurpose classrooms.