SA condemns violence aimed at civilians
20 September 2012
The South African government has strongly condemned the use of violence, particularly violence that targeted innocent civilians, following the deaths of eight South Africans in a suicide bombing in the Afghan capital of Kabul on Tuesday.
The bombing, which also killed four other people, was apparently in retaliation for an anti-Islam film made privately in the US and posted on the internet last week.
Releasing the names of the eight South Africans on Wednesday, the Department of International Relations and Cooperation said the government once again expressed its deepest condolences to the families, friends and colleagues of the deceased.
"The South African government believes in peaceful means to settle disputes and/or conflicts, and we strongly condemn the use of violence, particularly violence targeted at innocent civilians," the department said in a statement.
The department is busy rendering consular assistance to all eight families.
The victims were aged between 30 and 65 and came from different provinces across South Africa, while one had dual SA-British citizenship and was based in Scotland.
The department said it consulted with the families "and hereby releases their names with permission":
- Christian Johannes Justus Pretorius (30) from Pretoria, Gauteng
- Fraser Angus Carey (31) from Johannesburg, Gauteng
- Brandon Quinn Booth (47) from Balgowan, KwaZulu-Natal
- Johan Abraham van Huyssteen (31) from Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape
- Johan Frederick Bouchaud (30) from Johannesburg, Gauteng
- Johannes Judenis Humphries (65) from Centurion, Gauteng
- Steven Leong (31) from Johannesburg, Gauteng
- Jenny Margaret Ayris (46) from Scotland, United Kingdom
The eight had been employed by a private aviation company to work in Afghanistan. The department said it was working with the company, as well as with Afghan authorities, in making arrangements for the repatriation of the remains of the deceased.