Science and technology
South African scientists are part of an international research group that is on track to deliver more effective, less expensive and shorter TB treatment - and one which also has the potential to cure multi-drug-resistant TB - using a new combination of drugs.
Scientists have uncovered tens of thousands of Earlier Stone Age artifacts at a site in South Africa's Northern Cape province, revealing an extraordinarily rich archaeological deposit whose full extent has yet to be determined - but which is threatened by modern development.
South Africa successfully assisted with the launch of Nasa's Orbiting Carbon Observatory-2 satellite on 2 July - the latest in a number of such launches the country has been involved in - the SA National Space Agency revealed on Thursday.
Africa's first accelerator mass spectrometry laboratory was unveiled at the University of Johannesburg on Monday, boosting South Africa's efforts to grow the continent's next generation of innovators, researchers and technicians.
More stories from this section...
Science & technology top links
- Dept of Science and Technology
- South African National Space Agency
- SKA South Africa
- Council for Scientific and Industrial Research
- Council for Geoscience
- National Research Foundation
- National Advisory Council on Innovation
- Technology Innovation Agency
- SA Vanguard of Technology
- SA Agency for Science and Technology Advancement
- Public Understanding of Biotechnology
- Science in Africa Magazine