Science and technology
A young South Africa has walked away with the Google Science Fair Community Impact Award in the Africa/Middle East region, and has made it to the final leg of the competition. Her winning entry is an economically friendly and sustainable solution to drought.
The Square Kilometre Array radio telescope project this weekend unveiled the first cosmic image captured by the first phase of MeerKAT receptors to Science and Technology Minister Naledi Pandor, who led a party of dignitaries to the remote Northern Cape site.
Appropriately named Lengau, Setswana for "cheetah", the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research has unveiled a new super computer in Cape Town. As the fastest computer in Africa it brings many advantages for scientists, their research, and economic growth.
Describing her as "a symbol of the new South Africa", Germany has awarded South African Minister of Science and Technology Naledi Pandor the Grand Cross of Merit for her work to build scientific relations between the two countries.
More stories from this section...
Science & technology top links
- Dept of Science and Technology
- South African National Space Agency
- SKA South Africa
- Council for Scientific and Industrial Research
- Council for Geoscience
- National Research Foundation
- National Advisory Council on Innovation
- Technology Innovation Agency
- SA Vanguard of Technology
- SA Agency for Science and Technology Advancement
- Public Understanding of Biotechnology
- Science in Africa Magazine