Science and technology
A R70-million telescope is planned for the University of KwaZulu-Natal. The Hirax will be the university's legacy project, and will allow its astronomers to look back in time, to a few billion years after the beginning of time. It will consist of a thousand dishes of 6m in diameter each.
The National Health Laboratory Service has been nominated for the European Quality awards in the health care category, in recognition of its high standards and leading position in pathology and diagnostic services. The winner will be announced in Switzerland this week.
Distinctive bones hidden among the many fossils at Wits University come from a newly discovered dinosaur. Found on the border of Lesotho and South Africa, the new dinosaur has been named Sefapanosaurus from a Sesotho word.
When it comes to the ICT sector in South Africa, women are under-represented. But there are a range of initiatives on the go to bring a better gender balance to the industry – initiatives such as Techno Girls, which offers job shadowing and on-going mentorship.
More stories from this section...
Science & technology top links
- Dept of Science and Technology
- South African National Space Agency
- SKA South Africa
- Council for Scientific and Industrial Research
- Council for Geoscience
- National Research Foundation
- National Advisory Council on Innovation
- Technology Innovation Agency
- SA Vanguard of Technology
- SA Agency for Science and Technology Advancement
- Public Understanding of Biotechnology
- Science in Africa Magazine