Science and technology
The German institute is pouring R150-million into building and installing radio receivers on the MeerKAT radio telescope. The project, it says, will grant its scientists access to a world-class facility and its unique unrestricted view on our galaxy, and will boost MeerKAT's scientific potential even further.
The first Africa Data Challenge calls for data-driven projects that have a practical, human impact in Africa, which is falling behind in the race for scientific development. Innovators can pitch their ideas at the #ScienceAfrica UnConference in London.
Dr Tyler Lyson and his colleagues at the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg have published a paper on the origin of the tortoise's shell, and how these creatures came to develop their breathing apparatus.
The Sasol Solar Challenge brings global teams together to compete in a gruelling endurance race across 2000km in purpose-built solar-powered vehicles. The challenge aims to raise the profile of science among South African students and spur development in renewable energy.
More stories from this section...
Science & technology top links
- Dept of Science and Technology
- South African National Space Agency
- SKA South Africa
- Council for Scientific and Industrial Research
- Council for Geoscience
- National Research Foundation
- National Advisory Council on Innovation
- Technology Innovation Agency
- SA Vanguard of Technology
- SA Agency for Science and Technology Advancement
- Public Understanding of Biotechnology
- Science in Africa Magazine