Science and technology
Scientists have uncovered tens of thousands of Earlier Stone Age artifacts at a site in South Africa's Northern Cape province, revealing an extraordinarily rich archaeological deposit whose full extent has yet to be determined - but which is threatened by modern development.
South Africa successfully assisted with the launch of Nasa's Orbiting Carbon Observatory-2 satellite on 2 July - the latest in a number of such launches the country has been involved in - the SA National Space Agency revealed on Thursday.
Africa's first accelerator mass spectrometry laboratory was unveiled at the University of Johannesburg on Monday, boosting South Africa's efforts to grow the continent's next generation of innovators, researchers and technicians.
Cape Town astronomer Roger Deane and a team of South African-funded researchers have discovered a trio of closely orbiting supermassive black holes in a galaxy more than 4-billion light years away - confirmation of the country's fast-growing expertise in the field of radio astronomy.
More stories from this section...
Science & technology top links
- Dept of Science and Technology
- South African National Space Agency
- SKA South Africa
- Council for Scientific and Industrial Research
- Council for Geoscience
- National Research Foundation
- National Advisory Council on Innovation
- Technology Innovation Agency
- SA Vanguard of Technology
- SA Agency for Science and Technology Advancement
- Public Understanding of Biotechnology
- Science in Africa Magazine