Science and technology
South Africa successfully assisted with the launch of Nasa's Orbiting Carbon Observatory-2 satellite on 2 July - the latest in a number of such launches the country has been involved in - the SA National Space Agency revealed on Thursday.
Africa's first accelerator mass spectrometry laboratory was unveiled at the University of Johannesburg on Monday, boosting South Africa's efforts to grow the continent's next generation of innovators, researchers and technicians.
Cape Town astronomer Roger Deane and a team of South African-funded researchers have discovered a trio of closely orbiting supermassive black holes in a galaxy more than 4-billion light years away - confirmation of the country's fast-growing expertise in the field of radio astronomy.
US pharmaceutical giant Pfizer is set to partner with South Africa's North-West University in preclinical research, a key field in the development of new drugs, following the signing of a memorandum of understanding between the company and the university this week.
More stories from this section...
Science & technology top links
- Dept of Science and Technology
- South African National Space Agency
- SKA South Africa
- Council for Scientific and Industrial Research
- Council for Geoscience
- National Research Foundation
- National Advisory Council on Innovation
- Technology Innovation Agency
- SA Vanguard of Technology
- SA Agency for Science and Technology Advancement
- Public Understanding of Biotechnology
- Science in Africa Magazine