Science and technology
Wits University's Evolutionary Studies Institute has uncovered prehistoric secrets about the evolution of the turtle based on a 260 million-year-old fossil found in the Karoo, perhaps ending a "vigorous debate that has been going on for as long as we've had a theory of evolution".
The Solar Thermal Research Group at Stellenbosch University has completed a prototype system to help make generating solar energy more efficient and cheaper. The Helio100 system uses mirrors to focus the sun's energy on to one central point, turning heat into electricity.
A new telescope installed at North West University is expected to help find answers to some of the age-old questions humans ask, such as where do we come from. It will also be used in outreach efforts to inspire an interest among students and others in the sciences.
Following its creation in 1992, the .co.za domain zone has hit the one million mark, says the ZA Central Registry, which manages it and other domains. The first website to use the domain was bksinc.co.za, which looks almost unrecognisable compared to today's websites.
More stories from this section...
Science & technology top links
- Dept of Science and Technology
- South African National Space Agency
- SKA South Africa
- Council for Scientific and Industrial Research
- Council for Geoscience
- National Research Foundation
- National Advisory Council on Innovation
- Technology Innovation Agency
- SA Vanguard of Technology
- SA Agency for Science and Technology Advancement
- Public Understanding of Biotechnology
- Science in Africa Magazine