Science and technology
Evidence suggests that sub-Saharan human populations retain genetic bits and pieces of DNA from non-KhoiSan primordial humans. If DNA samples were compared from humans around the world, the relationship would look more like a chain link, rather than a tree that branches out.
The world renowned radio telescope project, the Square Kilometre Array (South Africa), has awarded full bursaries for undergraduate studies to five outstanding matric students from the nearby Carnarvon High School. The project is determined to boost science and maths education.
Tesla Motors, the electric vehicle and energy storage company based in the US's Silicon Valley and led by South African-born industrialist Elon Musk, will open an office in South Africa during January 2016 to develop its Powerwall energy storage solutions for local consumers and businesses.
Minister Naledi Pandor believes science and technology hold the key to solving the economic and social ills – such as water scarcity, food security and disease burdens – that are holding back South Africa and the rest of the continent.
More stories from this section...
Science & technology top links
- Dept of Science and Technology
- South African National Space Agency
- SKA South Africa
- Council for Scientific and Industrial Research
- Council for Geoscience
- National Research Foundation
- National Advisory Council on Innovation
- Technology Innovation Agency
- SA Vanguard of Technology
- SA Agency for Science and Technology Advancement
- Public Understanding of Biotechnology
- Science in Africa Magazine