Science and technology
The Sasol Solar Challenge brings global teams together to compete in a gruelling endurance race across 2000km in purpose-built solar-powered vehicles. The challenge aims to raise the profile of science among South African students and spur development in renewable energy.
An innovative electronic register that monitors patients on treatment for HIV and tuberculosis developed by the University of Cape Town is being picked up by other countries across the world, including Mozambique, Vietnam and Pakistan.
The recent earthquake in South Africa's North West province was most likely a natural earthquake triggered by decades of mining activity, and might require a rethink of building codes in mining areas, experts said during a recent panel discussion hosted by the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research.
South African scientists are part of an international research group that is on track to deliver more effective, less expensive and shorter TB treatment - and one which also has the potential to cure multi-drug-resistant TB - using a new combination of drugs.
More stories from this section...
Science & technology top links
- Dept of Science and Technology
- South African National Space Agency
- SKA South Africa
- Council for Scientific and Industrial Research
- Council for Geoscience
- National Research Foundation
- National Advisory Council on Innovation
- Technology Innovation Agency
- SA Vanguard of Technology
- SA Agency for Science and Technology Advancement
- Public Understanding of Biotechnology
- Science in Africa Magazine